Our client is major mobile network operator with a high street presence in their own stores and mobile phone retailers. They have an existing digital kiosk solution which is a highly interactive display, using simple games and graphical information screens to convey network coverage, pricing tariffs, offers etc. Our client informed us that the kiosk attracted a good amount of attention and increased dwell time in the stores, but this information was difficult to gather and analyse in an efficient way.
- Collecting the data from the kiosk is a manual process that requires remotely accessing each system and downloading the log files
- Kiosks are often switched off outside of store hours, making the gathering of log data difficult due to remote access not being available when required
- There are around 200 kiosks deployed nationally and it takes approximately 10 minutes to remotely access and download each log file. This equates to 33 hours to just acquire the data
- The log files must be manually manipulated into a spreadsheet application to create meaningful data for analysis, this takes a further two days
After a brief design study, we were able the address our client’s needs and provide a detailed specification for the proposed solution.
- A secure provisioning process was created to allow installation engineers to easily add new kiosks to the system
- The data from each kiosk is pushed up to the cloud on a scheduled basis
- An analytics processing pipeline was created to process kiosk data and aggregate statistics
- An analytics dashboard was created to allow viewing of statistics interesting to the operator, such as number of users, usage time etc.
The most immediate benefit to the client is the automated uploading of data to the cloud. There is no longer the need for a manual process of logging into over 200 systems and copying log files. This has saved over 30 hours per month for downloading the data and 2 days per month for manipulating the data.
Having a fully automated system removes any margin for error giving greater accuracy and confidence in the data. The data is now stored centrally making it quick and simple to analyse using the visual dashboard provided by IoTechnics.
The client is now able to track the kiosk data at far more regular intervals giving valuable insights into their usage. Adding a secure provisioning process now makes it much simpler for the client to install new kiosks, with the knowledge and confidence that security of the network is maintained.