Connectivity is at the very core of the Internet of Things (IoT). Devices are now being deployed in locations and environments where traditional networking technologies are no longer an option. This is giving rise to sensor networks or operational networks, that fall outside the remit of conventional IT departments.
Choosing the right networking technology is key to the success of all IoT projects. At IoTechnics, we have the knowledge to assist you in choosing the right solution for your business.
- Mesh networks
- Low power wide area networks
- Cloud managed networking
- M2M messaging protocols
- Transport and protocol level security
Mesh networking is a networking topology where all devices in the network can relay data for other devices in the network. This allows for the creation of an interconnected wireless "mesh" of devices that communicate without the need for expensive infrastructure such as hubs and cabling.
- Auto-forming - no time-consuming configuration of new devices
- Self-healing - if a device leaves the network, other devices rearrange themselves on the network to continue communicating
- Reliable - due to the self-healing nature of mesh networks, > 99.999% reliability can be obtained
- Scalable - thousands of nodes can be part of the same network
- Secure - 128bit AES-based encryption with device authentication and advanced key management, as standard
- Low power - smartmesh devices can consume as little as 3µA of power
LONG RANGE NETWORKING
Long range networks can span multiple kilometers in distance. IoTechnics specialises in LoRa, a long range, low power networking standard. LoRa networks provide secure, low power connectivity for remote battery powered devices.
- Long range - devices can broadcast up to 5km in urban areas and 15km in suburban areas
- Easy deployment - simple hub-based architecture and the ability to use existing nationwide LoRa infrastructure make deployment simple and cost-effective
- Scalable - each LoRa gateway can support thousands of devices
- Secure - 128bit AES-based network and application layer encryption
- Low power - adaptive data rate techniques maximise device battery life
CLOUD MANAGED NETWORKING
Connected devices can often be deployed in unconventional locations which may not have easy access, or technical staff onsite. Cloud managed networking provides the ability to manage devices and networking infrastructure from a secure, centralised location. This can improve issue response time and decrease operational costs.
IoTechnics have partnered with Cisco to provide solutions based on their industry leading Meraki cloud-based network management tool.
- Infrastructure management - Remotely configure access points, firewalls, routers and wireless networks
- Device management - Remotely manage iOS, Android, MacOS and Windows devices
- Application management - Remotely install, manage and restrict applications on iOS, Android, MacOS and Windows
- Secure - PCI DSS level 1 and HIPAA compliant systems management, suitable for systems which handle payment and medical information
MACHINE TO MACHINE MESSAGING
Connecting devices to a network is just the start of an IoT solution. To enable integration with existing systems, and to enable efficient communications, various protocols must be employed.
At IoTechnics, we have a deep understanding of these protocols and have the experience to select the appropriate protocol for the job in hand.
- MQTT - Message Queue Telemetry Transport
- CoAP - Constrained Application Protocol
- XMPP - Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol
- DDS - Data Distribution Service
- AMQP - Advanced Message Queuing Protocol
- HTTP/HTTPS - Hypertext Transfer Protocol